Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Deaf Coffee 2nd Session 2-18-2011

[Img source: http://bit.ly/fpjGCO]
I was tired but I went and meeting new people rejuvenated me. Michael and his family were there; there were a few people who I'd met at DAC and CNYRID. So I'm getting to know the community of Deaf and ASL interpreters. It dawned on me that my signing must be improving because Michael asked the other day if I needed voicing from the interpreter who was present. Tonight, at the coffee meet, an ASL student said I seem to be so comfortable with signing. :) I think this "comfort" comes from having more interactions with this cultural group. ASL is also a visually dramatic language, using hands, facial expressions and body language. One must learn to overcome this shyness about "performing" if one wants to communicate with it.

No comments: