Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Read & Experience a LOT to write well

OK, I haven't been writing anything about my PhD progress lately. I've been reading a LOT. I mean really, a lot. As my superb Chair reminds me, lead an interesting life to produce an interesting dissertation. How do you do that if you live on a tight graduate student budget?

For some things, you have to experience it vicariously. I do that by reading extensively. Within and across disciplines. I read different kinds of books and magazines from outside my discipline because that stimulates creativity. I have diverse experiences. I don't surround myself with people who are like me, I don't think there is anyone like me anyway. *wink* Yes, I do have lifelong friends who have similar interests but I cross borders to learn new things. There is a certain fatigue to this, I agree.

Don't be afraid to venture out of your discipline. I have written about this before, sometimes, cultural and disciplinary groups like to just stick together. There is a merit to this and a disadvantage. Why would I want to keep reading and listening to ideas sort of like yeah-i've-heard-that-before? They won't stimulate me to grow.

It is through differences that change is forged. And don't we always say in ed psych, learning is about making changes. 

No comments: