In mid February 2012, I founded 'Cuse ASL Club with an enthusiastic co-organizer, Corinne Sartori, a Hard-of-Hearing iSchool freshman. I can now say that I've happily passed the torch over to Corinne to lead the club as I prepare to finish off my graduate program. Milestones though, there were several:
- Club launch poster I created with Corinne as model. I was in a hurry and needed someone to help realize my poster concept and Corinne was perfect! She signed "love it" - so apt for an intriguing poster! Corinne does such a great job creating our Event posts on Facebook, you should check them out.
- Creating our Tumblr blog http://cuse-asl.tumblr.com/ and having our own Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/CuseASL
- Finally being able to locate students in SU who signed and were looking for sign partners :)
- Katelyn, our own member, teaching us to sign an English song, "Follow Me". It was really fun as we tried to figure out which signs were most conceptually accurate.
|Katelyn Tamargo teaching members how to sign a song.|
- Going to Chipotle for a club meeting and turning patron heads with our dancing hands!
- Antonio, Elaine, Jack, John V, Carlton, Chuck and other members of the local Deaf community who came to our meetings and taught us to sign! I made many new friends through 'Cuse ASL.
- Spreading the news about a great TV series "Switched at Birth" that had hearing and Deaf actors and getting a few members hooked! :)
- We were featured in the May/June 2012 Siracusa, a publication of the local Deaf community.