Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

Jodie Foster's Speech

"Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from."

 There has been a lot of talk about Jodie Foster's acceptance speech at the Golden Globes. Some good, some trashy, and some just silly; many were perplexed by her words. I was fascinated. Not that I watched the show. After Downton Abbey, I flipped channels, and lo and behold, it was Jodie's moment. A Guardian Film writer dissected her speech and hailed it an oratorical marvel. For me, here are four quotes that reverberated with me and I want to capture these thoughts in time:

“Being an artist is a way of saying, I am here, and this is what I stand for,” she said. “And I will never be tired of that.”

I see myself as both an artist and a (social) scientist. I've been very blessed, in tangible and nontangible ways. My worst fear? That I will never fulfill all the potential I've been blessed with in this limited life!

"Privacy. Someday, in the future, people will look back and remember how beautiful it once was."

I am intrigued as to why some human beings spend so much time gossiping about other people they don't understand or know so little about. I suppose tattering about others is the premise for certain types of businesses? 

"Mom, I know you are inside those blue eyes, somewhere. There are many things you won't understand tonight, but this is the only important one to take in, I love you, I love you, I love you. I hope that if I say it three times, it will magically and perfectly find its way into your soul, that it will fill you with grace and joy in this life knowing that you did good in this life. You are a great mom, please take that with you, when you are finally okay to go ..."

Jodie, I want to say the same thing to my mom too. Thank you for articulating these words that I could never say to her in such a perfect way.

And finally, thank you for your humanity.

From The Examiner, April 14 2011

"However, that being said," she added, "if you're motivated and if you put your foot down and say, 'I don't want to be your reality show,' then you can take charge. But it requires a lot of energy and a lot of always asking that question of yourself, Who do I want to be? … What do I want to see in myself ? … What do I want to stand for ? … always asking that question every time someone hands you that free watch or whatever. -- Every single decision that you make, has to be processed through the consequences of that decision on your psyche." 


Jodie Foster
Image Source: http://www.theplace2.ru/photos/photo.php?id=461611


No comments: